Great Dane Trailers Design Engineer II in Savannah, Georgia
Great Dane is hiring for a Design Engineer II at our Savannah, Georgia Division office.
The Design Engineer II is responsible for producing and maintaining truck body designs for our line of dry freight and refrigerated trucks. Competent in engineering fundamentals, the incumbent uses established procedures as well as helping to develop and coordinate new designs, assemblies, and methods to evaluate. Assignments are varied and maybe concurrent. The Design Engineer 2 primary function is to engineer fundamentals, use established procedures as well as helping to develop new designs, assemblies, and methods to evaluate
• Design complex parts and assemblies using 3D CAD (Catia of Solid Works preferred) based on guidance by more senior engineers
• Perform stress/thermal analysis on parts and small assemblies using classical and numerical FEA methods with results reviewed by more senior engineer at defined milestones.
• Able to perform, monitor and report results of numerous small scale tests.
• Verify the accuracy of data before and after.
• Travel to manufacturing plants to assist implementation of new designs.
• Work with vendors to obtain required materials.
• Provide engineering support to manufacturing for the installation of aftermarket items requested by customer (i.e. lift gates)
• Assist/advise Design Engineer I with general knowledge.
• Maintain technical competency.
• Work with Production Engineering to coordinate use of new designs.
• Work with Manufacturing Engineering to determine feasibility/tooling requirements for new designs.
• Support lean manufacturing initiatives to provide customers with products that meet or exceed customer requirements while improving internal metrics
• Work with Material vendors (i.e. extruders) to provide information needed to produce new designs.
• Work with Representatives of Other GDLP/CCI companies to provide design support for truck body design.
• Plan own work after definite objectives are set by the manager, referring only unusual cases to the manager.
• Other activities as appropriate.
Customer Focus: Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets firsthand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect
Action Oriented: Enjoys working hard; is action oriented and full of energy for the things he/she sees as challenging; not fearful of acting with a minimum of planning; seizes more opportunities than others
Problem Solving: Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn’t stop at the first answers
Planning: Accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks and projects; sets objectives and goals; breaks down work into the process steps; develops scheduled and task/people assignments; anticipates and adjusts for problems and roadblocks; measure performance against goals; evaluates results.
Approachability: Is easy to approach and talk to; spends the extra effort to put others at ease; can be warm, pleasant, and gracious; is sensitive to and patient with the interpersonal anxieties of others, builds rapport well; is a good listener; is an early knower, getting informal and incomplete information in time to do something about it
Composure: Is cool under pressure; does not become defensive or irritated when times are tough; is considered mature; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; doesn’t show frustration when resisted or blocked; is a settling influence in a crisis
Priority Setting: Spends his/her time and the time of others on what’s important; quickly zeros in on the critical few and puts the trivial many aside; can quickly sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal; eliminates roadblocks; creates focus
Technical Learning: Picks up on technical things quickly; can learn new skills and knowledge; is good at learning new industry, company, product, or technical knowledge like internet technology; does well in technical courses and seminars
• Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Mechanic Engineering Technology, or equivalent. Minimum 1 year work experience in a related area of engineering
• Three years of experience in truck body, vocational vehicle or up fit is preferred
• Engineering capabilities expected of graduate engineer plus experience with Catia and Ansys.
• Ability to interact with representatives of other departments and companies and use product knowledge to provide accurate input.
• Ability to execute projects with minimal supervision and guidance
• Setting own work goals after definite objectives are set by manager, referring only unusual cases to manager.
• Proficient in Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel
• Providing assistance and support
_Physical Demands/Work Environment:_
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
/Physical demands:/ The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee: Is required to stand and walk on concrete surfaces and / or sit for server hours per week of physical work performing tests or in a manufacturing environment which may be variant in temperatures. Must have the ability to walk, bend, grasp, stoop, kneel, twist, crawl, climb, work overhead, use both hands, and push and pull.
/Work environment:/ The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud noise when in the facility. The office environment will be quiet to moderate. The office work environment is not subject weather extremes. Casual business attire is accepted in office area. PPE is mandated in manufacturing/testing areas due to potential hazards in the facility.
/Travel:/ Travel is generally 2 to 4 days per month.
Successful candidate must pass a drug screen and background check.
We offer a competitive wage and benefits package including medical, dental, and life insurance, paid vacation/holidays, and 401k
Great Dane is an Equal Opportunity Employer